Functions and Application of Insulation Piercing Connector
Scope of IPC
The prime objective of the Insulation Piercing Connector (IPC) is a connector for the distribution network. The installation of insulated piercing connectors has been combined with outstanding mechanical, electrical, and environmental properties to create a connector capable of terminating aluminium or copper stranded wires.
Insulation Piercing Connector is used for all AB cable systems (messenger wire and self-supporting systems) that use connectors that accept a tap connection. This tap can be used to continue or distribute a line, as well as in street lighting and domestic utility connections. The design makes it possible to entirely seal the connection against water penetration, making it a waterproof connector. Insulation piercing connectors are made to form a semi-permanent metal-to-metal connection between the wire conductor and the insulation piercing connector. Several factors influence their performance and connection dependability like contact type, connection method, tip design of connector etc.
Insulation Piercing Connector is used in All AB cable systems (messenger wire & supporting system) that require connectors to accept a tap connection. This tap can be used to continue or distribute a line, as well as in street lighting and domestic utility connections.
Various types of IPC using standard EN 50483-4:2009:
Specifications of IPC using standard EN 50483-4:2009:
Applications of Insulation Piercing Connector
• Insulated LV and HV lines with interconnectors for providing promising insulation and robust strength for terminal and adjacent ports and terminals.
• To establish the connection between twisting LV network to service cables.
• Street lights, tap off, distribution box charging, and jumper connections are the four
principal applications for IPCs.
• Low-voltage insulated household wire T connection; building power distribution
system T connection; street lamp distribution system and ordinary cable field branch;
underground power grid insulated cable connection; lawn flower bed lighting line connection.
Advantages of Insulation Piercing Connector
• Personal assurance that the connector is securely fastened
• Connection is quite dependable
• Robust construction
• Durable and long-lasting
• No requirement for conductor insulation stripping
• Can be used as a splice or tap for non-tension applications up to 600 volts depending
on connector size Self-insulated for hotline applications
• No post-installation tape is necessary
• For copper-to-copper, copper-to-aluminium, and aluminium-to-aluminium applications
• Only for use on insulated conductors
Click here to get a quote now!
Thank you for reading the blog, Axis is a leading manufacturer and supplier of Electrical Components to over 80+ Countries. Talk to our industry expert by visiting our contact us section. You can also watch our videos by our experts - click here.